Hello! My name is Alisha, thanks for checking out my page. I am 27 years old, and am a teacher candidate at Thompson Rivers University. Teaching is always something that has been on my mind for a career. My grandpa was a high school English teacher for 40 years, and my sister is currently a math teacher in SD73. In 2020 I completed my teaching English as a second language certification. Since this was during COVID-19, my learning, and my time teaching, was done online. I really enjoyed it, but it made me want to teach face-to-face and more variety with subjects. This helped me decide that I did really want to go into teaching in the elementary school setting. 

When not in school, I am usually riding my horse, crocheting, (poorly) playing the piano, painting, reading, or writing. Crocheting and playing the piano have taught me patience and how to slow down. While I have no formal training in art, I have enjoyed painting for most of my life and I hope to incorporate it into many lessons as a teacher. Through being in the education program, I have learned how important it is for children to read frequently. In my classroom, I will ensure to add daily reading with my students. As a child, I used to really love reading but only books that held my specific interests (for me, this would be the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter and any horse book). This interest in reading has stuck with me and I still find great joy in reading. For my students, I will encourage this love of reading and help them find stories they love. 

Besides becoming an elementary school teacher, my goals include publishing a book, and also move into bigger competitions in show jumping. I plan to combine these passions in a multitude of ways. Firstly, I think being an amateur, doing something purely out of enjoyment and love for the activity is incredibly important for us as humans. I hope to foster in my students their own passions even if they are simply for fun. In a more direct approach, I plan to bring writing in different ways into the class, not only because it is an essential skill, but also so the students can experience different types of writing and hopefully grow interested in writing if hey are not. Riding and taking care of animals has taught me some of my most important ideals. These include discipline, kindness, compassion, the importance of physical movement, and the interconnectedness of our daily actions and the larger makeup of our life, and also the connection of our lives and the world around us. I believe in teaching by example and hope I can model some of these ideals to students. 

On this site you will find my thoughts on various documents such as the BC Curriculum and Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action, previous lesson plans I have created, previous assignments I have completed, my teaching philosophy statement, resume, and other reflections and documents that relate to my education career. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Teaching Philosophy

Resume

Who I Am